Friday 22 August 2008

JOURNEY OF DISCOVERY


Journey of discovery begins in the North East of England, having spent most of my life in the North West. First observation was of the beauty of the landscape that is never too far away, even from the cities of Newcastle and Durham. Durham has beauty in it's own right, as I made my first journey to my future home the view I will always remember was seeing Durham Cathedral and Castle rising proudly from the bossom of the city, welcoming me to my new home. Having since frequented the city on many occasions over the last year, I have found a variety of attractions, within this picturesque location. The main street shops are all readily available, as well as a small and select range of interesting curiosity, fancy goods shops, cafes and restaurants. The city also hosts different market themes in the main square. The walk up the cobbled street to the Castle and Catherdral is worth the hike, so far I have only been inside the Catherdral, which is a fine example of Norman architecture, it was begun in 1093 by Bishop William of St Carileph and remains largely as he conceived it. It was one of the earliest vaulted cathedrals in Europe and the first to employ rib vaults. These, combined with massive cylindrical piers, strikingly ornamented, create one of the most impressive of all English cathedrals.












The Cloisters


If you wish to enjoy the fresh air and escape the hustle and bustle of the city streets, a walk along the River Wear may be an attractive alternative. The pathways are tree lined and straddle the waters edge, crossing bridges and providing excellent viewing points of the castle and catherdral.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for this...thanks for the blog...thanks for meeting me when you did...thanks for just being there...