Wednesday 19 November 2008

JULIE and MUM

19th November 1968, yes 40 years ago......... Gladys Beswick departed this world far, far too soon. My mother, my friend, and although I was denied sharing the world of adulthood with her, I have fond memories of her kindness, generosity and hugs and how she offered me reassurance and wiped away my tears when I was hurt or afraid, and when I had just started senior school in the September of '68.

How I have wished we could have experienced more of the mother and daughter things like shopping, chatting endlessly and sharing the excitment of her pending grandchild, I do however feel privileged for being her daughter and for having her in my life for eleven wonderful years.
She wanted her children to have a better life and stived to ensure we would have, she would say,
"None of my children will end up in the mill,"
and although she doesn't know it, non of us did!
Shortly after she had left us I wrote this in my dairy, which is stored in one of my many memorabilia boxes:
'All my life until I was eleven I thought the world was mine,
I played as though it was all heaven
I never thought they would draw the line.
When I was eleven my little heaven became nothing but hell,
It was as if a wicked witch had cast me with a spell.
The nights became cold I had to be bold and stand on my own two feet,
I had lost one of the people I loved the most and hoped again to meet.'
Love you always mum and thank you for the will to improve and the need to succeed xx

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So very 'Jeni-like.'